June 1st, 2013

Today's slate.

The Big Hurst - Jerome Williams

skoormit - Jose Fernandez

La Osa Rosa - Jeff Samardzija


The Big Hurst: Angels pitchers get negative points in my system just because I don't like rooting for the Angels.  But today, a truce. Also, there's an excellent editorial in the Washington Post today by a Methodist minister named James P. Marsh, Jr., called, "Why I sit out 'God Bless America'".  I agree with it completely.  There's also a good thread on Reddit about this topic.  The fact that this patriotic/religious display has become compulsory at every baseball game drives me batty for about five different reasons. I feel less lonely that I'm not the only person who thinks so.  Major League Baseball - get rid of it!  Put "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" back in the forefront!
La Osa Rosa: I pick Jeff Samardzija even though I forget what team he pitches for. I'll pick him since The Big Hurst won't. skoormit, you should pick Verlander. I dare you.
The Big Hurst: Yeah! Ditto that!
skoormit: Verlander's a bum. But this Jose kid has a live arm. Plus he's on my roto squad. So now I get to double-root for him.
The Big Hurst:  I think you linked the wrong Jose Fernandez, unless we're picking batting game scores and the year is 2001. But you wouldn't want that guy anyway.  I only noticed because I was trying to figure out who the heck Jose Fernandez was. Also, I'm not sure what to do about the rain rules.  Shelby Miller was rained out yesterday, but they replayed the game today and he pitched and got a Game Score of 71.  That would've been good enough for one point if we counted it yesterday, and might be good for points today.  But it's rarely clear what the teams are planning to do in the future when it rains.  Sometimes they don't even know til the last minute.  I think the only consistent rule is to not charge a pick for a rainout.  Since they knew early on it would be postponed, I also offered La Osa Rosa the chance to re-pick from any night game that hadn't started, but she opted out.  I think re-picking from an unstarted game would be acceptable in those circumstances.  But if a game goes 5.0 IP and becomes official, however, you're stuck with it.  E pluribus diem.  Barring any further discussion, I think those are the rules.  I'm sure there will be further rain hijinks I haven't thought of.

RESULTS

The Big Hurst: That kid does have a live arm.  So, I've got 1s, 4s, and 5s.  And skoormit has 2s, 3s, and 4s.  When I get a 2 and a 3, I'm going to yell Yahtzee!  Or would that be a true "Game Score BINGO"?!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment