June 18th, 2013

Today's slate.

The Big Hurst - Adam Wainwright

skoormit - Randall Delgado

La Osa Rosa - Ervin Santana


The Big Hurst: This BP article on catcher framing is worth a look.  Probably not for its original point or analysis, honestly, but for the cool gifs, the documentation of non-strikes called strikes, and the reactions of the batters.  I'd love to see a feature somewhere on the internet on "worst called strikes of the week" with appropriate gifs or a list of the best/worst home plate umpires every week, cross-referenced with pitch f/x data.
skoormit: I'm making a pure fanboy pick today as Delgado makes his first start of the year for the Snakes.
La Osa Rosa: I’m picking Ervin Santana today cause he’s my fave. He’s just so sweet and adorable.
The Big Hurst:  It might be surprising that I've got about the same success rate as Mr. Fanboy and Miss Fave.  I did a little more wondering about how we're doing.  Getting 1.0 or 1.1 points per pick didn't seem too good.  But I think we're doing pretty okay.  There are 162 games for 30 teams in the space of around 180 days.  That's about 13.5 games a day with 27 possible starting pitcher selections.  There are something like 15 points available every day for those 27 pitchers, so that might suggest that a dart thrower might get 0.5 or 0.6 points a day.  So I think we're doing about twice as good as completely random, for whatever that's worth.


RESULTS

The Big Hurst: Earning thirteen total points on three separate days out of the last four, I believe we have a new leader today.  That's a streak.  I hate this stupid game.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment