June 17th, 2013

Today's slate.

The Big Hurst - Shelby Miller

skoormit - Tim Hudson

La Osa Rosa - Jorge De La Rosa


The Big Hurst: Somebody explain Yadier Molina to me.  He's batting .352 at the moment and leading the league.  He's 30.  His offensive production has inched up just about every year since he's been in the league.  Not just a little, but a lot.  RC/G is a pretty good measure of this, especially considering his catcher-odd playing time.  From 2005, it goes: 3.3, 2.6, 3.9, 4.4, 4.5, 3.6, 5.2, 7.0, & 7.5.  That's a sharp upward trend.  I don't think that's normal at all.  What's he learning about how to hit that no one seems to have figured out?  These numbers - along with his reputation as a good, intelligent catcher - would seem to indicate that his improvement isn't all premised on natural athletic talent.  There's a method at work in there somewhere.  Is this part of the reason why I've got the Cardinals as having the best offense in baseball?  And by a pretty wide margin.  Are they teaching him?  Or is he teaching them?
La Osa Rosa: I’m going to give Jorge De La Rosa another try. I feel like I’m betraying Francisco Liriano since he’s my old standby, but he did bad last time, so I don’t feel like I can trust him. Don’t feel bad, skoormit. Iwakuma actually didn’t do that bad, considering his locker room was covered in poop. Also, I watched all those gifs where the guy is giving interviews and his teammates are being silly in the background. I love it! It’s funny.
skoormit: Ha! All I know is he pitched like poop.Today I'm picking someone older than me. But I didn't realize that until after I picked him.
The Big Hurst: I'm sad to admit that there are darn few "older than me"s left.  One of several reasons I still follow and love Fat Elvis.  Oh God, I'm just realizing that there'll be a day when everyone playing major league baseball will be younger than me.  Ugh.  Does anybody else remember a time when a Royals/Indians game would be wildly, completely irrelevant?  Not so fast.

RESULTS

The Big Hurst: We did pretty good today, but am I really going to get beat by a girl? Rosa to 2nd place, skoormit to 3rd.  I think I actually got beat by a leg cramp.  Maddening.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment