June 12th, 2013

Today's slate.

The Big Hurst - Patrick Corbin

skoormit - Shelby Miller

La Osa Rosa - Francisco Liriano


skoormit: I don't think I ever hit against Colter. I played on a team with him in one Little League season. He's a year younger, so we would only have been in the same league every other year. He moved to Vestavia before high school, but I don't think we ever faced him at Shades Valley. Colter was a decent player, but no one would have picked him out as a kid that would pitch in the bigs one day. It helped that he grew to his dad's size. But it also helped that he went to Vestavia and worked hard, then went to Auburn and worked hard, and then worked hard for another 6+ years in the minors.
La Osa Rosa: I have to go with Francisco Liriano. He landed me 5 points last time I picked him. I would have picked Verlander, but I hear he’s a bum.
The Big Hurst:  I almost picked Verlander too.  Almost.  Do we think he'll ever be as good as he was?  Will Lincecum?  Are there examples of great pitchers who go astray in their 20s and then become great again?  I remember Colter as a kid standing out as big, tall, and sturdy.  I think other kids might have treated him like he didn't quite fit in.  I wonder if that's a common trend among people that grow up to be athletes?  They inhabit these bodies that aren't shaped like the rest of us.  They may feel a little socially ostracized for it and tend toward awkward shyness.  Until someone tells them that their big, tall, sturdy frame may be quite valuable.  Everyone likes being told they are valuable, so they embrace that culture and go mix with other big, tall, sturdy kids.  Maybe that's one reason lots of athletes stay shy around the muggles, especially considering they may've had to wait a long time before feeling valuable.  And considering that it's difficult for most athletes to feel entirely confident that they're actually valuable or that they'll stay valuable for long.  It's a shaky existence for most.  Some even have to take off the uniform, wait tables in the offseason, and mix with all the "normal" people.  Meanwhile, there was a decent piece on NPR's Morning Edition this morning about Tyler Saladino with the Birmingham Barons.
La Osa Rosa: Verlander did pretty good. That bum!

RESULTS

The Big Hurst: And today, we stink.  Note that Verlander only does good when we all disparage him.  The bum!  Anybody with half a heart has got to be happy about Jeremy Bonderman, right?


 

No comments:

Post a Comment